Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Freida

So this is a little random but I thought I would include it anyway since I am updating and such. When we first got here we were a little poor, and a little bored, so I started playing around with my camera a bit more. I have always wanted to do a lot with photography, but my motivation has always been a bit lacking.

So with nothing else to do I started playing around a little. This was my first subject...she remains my only subject seeing as how I slacked off again. However, here she is. Her name is Freida (yes I named the spider living on my porch...like I said a little bored...maybe a little crazy)

I debated back a forth for a while on whether or not to let her live. However, I decided she could continue to live there seeing as how she kept other spiders from taking up residence on my deck. She had established her territory pretty well. I can live with one pretty spider living on my deck who stays in the same corner better than a bunch of spiders all over. There are so many web building spiders here. There are spiderwebs everywhere!

Anyway, as time went on Freida's web got bigger and bigger and so did she. So I started knocking it down when she extended too far to keep her to her corner. As summer was ending I also started seeing a lot more spiders on my porch that looked like her and strumming her web...needless to say I started killing all her boyfriends...I didn't want a whole deck full of tiny baby spiders. I am not totally arachnophobic, but I am a little bit and I want to be able to enjoy my deck with out visitors crawling all over me.

Anyway this story has somewhat of a point, I was able to work on taking pictures of spiderwebs because she would rebuild it every night. This may sound weird but it is actually really fascinating to sit and watch a spider build a web close up. I always thought they would be slow but they are actually pretty quick and quite graceful.

Anyway, there is a bit of the crazy that only Tim usually gets to see that I have now shared with you all ;) I am still a bit of a nerd when it all comes down to it :)


But if you ever get the chance to sit and watch a spider build her web, take some time to watch. It is actually pretty cool. Plus you can get some cool pictures too. I've always liked pictures of spiderwebs. Hopefully as time goes on and I get a new camera, I will be able to get some better pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment