Wednesday, October 21, 2009

FINALLY!!

So you may all think this is kind of pathetic. But to me it is super exciting. I finally finished a project that I have been working on for the last year...well just over a year. I started it when we first moved to Salt Lake. I guess it was Augustish of 2008. We moved into this really cute apartment in Salt Lake and for some reason we thought we would actually stay at this place for the rest of the time we were in Salt Lake which at the time was going to be about 2 1/2 years.... Well, as our life tends to go, we moved 6 months later...however, that is not the story.

So, we had a really cute apartment we thought we would stay in long enough to be worth decorating. We had this window in our shower, one that was made of those clear blocks, instead of glass, and the blocks were all cracked and kind of ugly. So, one day I decided I would make something to put in there that would cover up the ugliness and also make our bathroom a little cuter. First off I love plants (as I sit here writing this I can see six plants around me. They are my depression fix.) and so I decided it would be cool to grow bamboo in our bathroom window. Perfect place because I probably wouldn't have to water it because it would get enough water in it when we used the shower (now that reasoning is just laziness kicking in).


So, I drew my design for the container I wanted to make and got the measurements and me and Tim went to the store for wood. We also bought this cheap crappy little handsaw and cheap crappy sandpaper and I went to work. I was working full-time at the time and so it was a project long in the workings that I just worked on whenever I felt like it. And the cutting and evening out the edges took forever mostly because of my wonderful handsaw (and when I say wonderful, I mean piece of crap. It did the job, but didn't do well on the finer details) anyway... I eventually got it all cut and sanded. I glued it together at some point after we had moved to Tooele, and stained it.



And then it sat there forever while I tried to find a glass container that would fit in it, but since I had made it for a specific window, the measurements were a little funky and so finding glass was impossible. But one day my mom surprised me with a glass container. She had gone to the House of Glass in Ephraim and gotten it custom made from the measurements. Then I just needed to get around to buying bamboo for it. Well, if you have ever shopped for bamboo, it is like $3.50 for a 4 inch stick of bamboo. Ridiculous if you ask me. So, I put it off forever hoping to find something cheaper, I just couldn't stomach it. Yes, I am a pathetic tight wad, I'm working on it. Anyway, the other day I went to a floral show with my Grandma and sister. It was at a florist wholesaler here in Salt Lake and I finally found what I was looking for...cheap, but quality bamboo. Yeah!!!


So, I finally was able to finish my project. It only took me over a year, but it is finally done and I am so excited! It looks like it would be simple, and really it wasn't that hard, just time consuming. and I am kind of lazy and like to just veg and relax when I get off work, so it never got done. But now it is and I think it looks great! It would have been better in a bathroom window, but what can you do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment